Chicano Poet

Monday, June 08, 2009

CALL FOR POETRY ENTRIES: CHAPBOOK EN ESPANOL/NAHUATL
And English

June 2, 2009

In 1977 Caracol released a chapbook titled: NAHUALLIANDOING: español/nahuatl/english. It was put together by Cecilio García-Camarillo, along with Mia García-Camarillo who collaborated on NOTAS, Angela de Hoyos who proofread, and Max Martinez who wrote the blurb [“Una subconsciencia indígena”].

The García-Camarillo’s became fascinated with the Nahuatl language after coming across Robledo’s Diccionario de la Mitología Nahuatl. They were looking for a name for their son, eventually choosing Itzolin; itz for obsidian and ollin for movement (Sadly, Itzolin passed away in 2003). At the time, Cecilio and Mia felt they had to do something else with this experience they were having with the Nahuatl language, so they decided to have a poetry contest in which entries were required to use all three languages: Nahuatl, English and Spanish. Aztlan Libre Press (a small San Antonio press just starting out) would like to do the same.

3 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oyes, esta onda es firme? If it is I will donate lana, because as you know I have attempted to publish but in the end I pull out my poetry, porque a la larga las ondas son gachas. My poetry collection was accepted for publication last year, but when I saw the contract I felt remorse that I partcipated in the Chicano Power Movement ( don't they call it that today? ). Hijole the publishing company wanted any right they could think of. Y eran raza (with a smallr). Of course there is negotiation, but I will not negotiate with absurdity.

Pero you soy firme y tengo dignidad y todavia busco tierra y libertad and the possibility of a good press that will publish my work. I do want others to publish and will support a press that is doing good for Raza. I like the trilingual idea. As long as they don't get into mysticism, The Nahuas were great scientist with very precise expressions regarding reality. Too bad what was scientific is reinterpreted in mystical delusions. Any way that is my onda.

Esmeralda Bernal

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger RC said...

Esmeralda,please follow the link to Aztlan Libre Press and send them some poetry.Anisa and Juan Tejeda are very good people.One of my poems was included in Nahualliandoing in 1977 and I'm going to send a poem.We'll see how it goes.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger anisa said...

Reyes, thank you for posting this.

Esmeralda Bernal, we hope to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home