Chicano Poet

Sunday, June 01, 2008

This photo of Omar was taken by Karen Harlow McClintock.
There is an article by her at La Bloga about Omar.

Luis Omar Salinas left this world on May 25,2008.
He will continue his gypsy wanderings in a better world.



 Crazy Gypsy

I

I am Omar
the crazy gypsy
nimble footed
and carefree

I write poems
on walls
that crumble
and fall

I talk to shadows
that sleep
and go away
crying

I meet fearless girls
who tell me
their troubles
my loneliness
bottled up in their
tummy

II

I am Omar
the crazy gypsy
I write songs
to my dead mother
hurl stones
at fat policemen
and walk on sea weed
in my dreams

I walk away from despair
like a horse walks away
from his master
end up in jail
eating powdered eggs
for breakfast

III

My spine shakes
to the songs
of women

I am heartless and lonely
and I whistle a tune
out of one of my dreams

where the world
babbles out loud
and Mexican hat check girls
do the Salinas Shuffle
a dance composed
by me on one
of my nightmares
and sold
for a bottle
of tequila.

IV

I am Omar
the crazy gypsy
I waltz through avenues
of roses
to the song
of Mariachis

V

I am Omar
the Mexican gypsy
I speak of love
as something
whimsical and aloof
as something
naked and cruel
I speak of death
as something inhabiting
the sea
awkward and removed
I speak of hate
as something
nibbling my ear

2 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I write poems
on walls
that crumble
and fall



I love this poem and his poetry, and am saddened by the loss of this great poet

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart bleeds.

Esmeralda Benal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home