Chicano Poet

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

here's one for anisa

Aztec Angel

I

I am an Aztec angel
criminal
of a scholarly society
I do favors
for whimsical magicians
where I pawn
my heart for truth
and find my way
through obscure streets
of soft-spoken
hara-kiris


II

I am an Aztec angel
forlorn passenger
on a train
of chicken farmers
and happy children


III

I am the Aztec angel
fraternal partner
of an orthodox society
where pachuco children
hurl stones
through poetry rooms
and end up in cop cars
their bones itching
and their hearts
busted from malnutrition

IV

I am the Aztec angel
who frequents bars
spends evenings
with literary circles
and socializes with spiks
niggers and wops
and collapses on his way
to funerals

V

Drunk
lonely
bespectacled
the sky
opens my veins
like rain
clouds go berserk
around me
my Mexican Ancestors
chew my fingernails

I am an Aztec angel
offspring of a woman
who was beautiful


by Luis Omar Salinas

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for this. I love this one too. someone on la bloga posted that his work should be republished. I agree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home