Chicano Poet

Friday, June 06, 2008

After I’m Gone

The room will smell of olives
and oleanders.
I will want to wake up
and see the rain,
touch some faces with my fingertips,
and apologize.
I will want to kiss the earth
and take my eyes to a Mexican
cemetery.

But the air will be blue,
my loved one will be dressed
in black, soused, and in tears.
On the far side of town
will be a band headed for the madhouse.
My sons and daughters will
be playing games.

The pages of my manuscripts
will blow loose
and turn into flies.
Everyone will be killing flies
and I’ll be a romantic
again dreaming about crazy women
dressed in red.
I’ll be quietly dreaming
again after I’m gone.

by Luis Omar Salinas

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, this one's beautiful.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger RC said...

All of the Salinas poems I have posted come from his 1987 book,The Sadness Of Days,which has to rank as one the five best books of Chicano poetry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home