Chicano Poet

Friday, September 15, 2006


How I Survived The Chicano Renaissance
And Lived To Tell About It From Australia


for Ivan Carswell


I’m the only Chicano Renaissance poet
to sport a blog, mate.
I never gave up tortillas, never ate bread.

I never gave up boiled beans, never at burgers.
I never gave up huevos rancheros, never ate pancakes.
Your jefita gave up the tortilla roller,

your abuela stopped making bunelos,
your abuelo stopped slaughtering the hogs---
he brought home store-bought tamales.

La Raza became Hispanic or Latino,
they wrote children’s stories,
detective stories, Quetzalcoatl waddle.

But, I’m the only Chicano Renaissance poet
to sport a blog, mate.
So don’t go marsupial on me!

2 Comments:

At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Reyes, it makes it all worthwhile. I have eaten all those things so maybe I cannot have a renaissance. And I wont go marsupial on you...

Hey, I can post a comment but I have to go anonymous!

Ivan Carswell aka igorevich
http://igorevich.blogspot.com/

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger RC said...

Ivan,I can visit your blog now but I can not post comments.Enjoy that article you emailed.Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home